London close but narrowly suffer back to back defeats as league campaign begins

London suffered back to back defeats during their first two games of the Allianz football league season.

The Exile`s suffered a opening day defeat the hands of Louth in Darver, going down 2-9 to 0-9.

The weather didn`t help London`s efforts as they were chasing the game right from the start as they conceded two early goals Declan Byrne opening the scoring for louth while Jim McEneaney grabbed a second just two minutes later.

London needed a quick reprieve to get themselves back in the game and they did that with a flurry of points and trailed 2-3 to 0-5 at half time.

Louth maintained a six point lead until Lorcan Mulvey scored two points before Adrian Moyles – another who caused Louth no end of problems to give the lads from London a chance of salvaging something as the lead was reduced to three with eight minutes to play.

The London heroics were stopped in their tracks as they couldn`t manage to get the ball in the Louth net.  Louth finally got their nerves settled as a show from Jim McEneaney and an insurance score from substitute Ruari Moore secured a Louth win.

Derek Maguire gets this ball away from  Scott Conroy in Sunday,s game in Darver


Louth: Declan Byrne, J McEneaney (2f) (1-3 each); James Stewart, Darren McMahon, Ruairi Moore (0-1 each)

London: Lorcan Mulvey (0-3, 1f), Sean Hickey, Adrian Moyles (0-2 each); Danny Ryan, Scott Conroy (0-1 each)


Louth: Craig Lynch; Padraig Rath, Patrick Reilly, Kevin Toner; Derek Maguire, Darren McMahon, Eoghan Lafferty; Tommy Durnin, James Califf; Declan Byrne, James Stewart, Adrian Reid; Conall McKeever, Jim McEneaney, Conor Grimes. Subs: Gerard McSorley for T Durnin, 12 mins; Ruairi Moore for J Califf, 59 mins; John Bingham for P Rath, 62 mins; Ronan Holcroft for D Byrne, 68 mins

London: Gavin McEvoy; Philip Butler, David McGreevey, Darragh Quinn; Caoimhin Carty, Danny Ryan, Colin Dunne; James Moran, Lorcan Mulvey; Adrian Moyles, Senan O’Grady, Adrian Hanlon; Sean Hickey, Scott Conroy, Patrick O’Hara. Subs: Alan Dunne for D Quinn, 50 mins; John Lynch for S Conroy, 50 mins; Shane Buckley for C Dunne, 60 mins; Ciaran Healy for S Hickey, 66 mins

Referee: Paul Faloon (Down)

London faced Carlow back at Ruislip and suffered a successive defeat as a another slow start cost The Exiles as Carlow overcame them 1-11 to 4-04 despite a late comeback.

Despite getting the opening score through Scott Conroy, this would be the only time London would lead the opposition.

Carlow demonstrated to London how to take the game to your opponents as Sean Gannon netted twice in 13 minutes for the visitors.

London tried to get their-selves back into the game but disaster struck  when Phillip Butler gave away a penalty and John Murphy stepped up to net Carlow`s third goal of the afternoon.

London were down by seven points as Carlow went back to the dressing rooms seven points up with the score 3-3 to 0-5.

London finally turned up second half after Carlow got their fourth goal after a defensive mix up.

Conroy did his best with a selection of fine scores as London tried to mount a comeback and when Senan 0`Grady`s goal bound shot was blocked on the line you knew it wasn`t to be London`s day.

But London got the goal their play had been threatening to achieve, after the frustration  Eoin Murray brilliantly caught a long ball into the box from substitute Liam Gavaghan, before beating his man and rifling a shot in off the crossbar.

With lead being reduced to justt wo points in it and as many minutes remaining, an added-time free was played short by London, who desperately needed a goal. But nothing came of the chances and London were left ruing what could have been, while the old cliche of goals win games was apparent once again.

London's Danny Ryan tackles Carlow's Benny Kavanagh [Picture: Malcolm McNally]


London: G McEvoy; P Butler, D McGreevey (c), D Quinn; C Carty, D Ryan, C Dunne; J Moran, C Og Greene; A Moyles (0-4, 3 frees), P O’Hara (0-1), A Hanlon (0-1); S Conroy (0-4, 4 frees), S O’Grady, S Hickey (0-1).

Subs used: J Lynch for C Dunne (black card), M Gottsche for C Og Greene, L Gavaghan for A Hanlon, E Murphy (1-0) for A Moyles (black card), D Molloy for S Hickey, S Buckley for J Lynch

Carlow: C Kearney; BJ Molloy, D St Ledger, K Nolan; G Kelly, D Hayden, B Kavanagh; B Murphy (0-2), S Gannon (2-0); A Kelly, J Murphy (1-0, penalty), D Foley (0-1, free); B Murphy, JJ Smith (1-1, 1 free), E Finnegan.

Subs used: C Blake for J Murphy, H Gahan for D Foley, M Fitzgerald for D St Ledger (black card)

Referee: Eamonn O’Grady (Leitrim)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s